The World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA) is delighted to announce the formation of its new International Expert Coaching Advisory Panel, which held its first meeting earlier this week.
To be led by WPBSA Head of Coaching and Training Development Chris Lovell, the initial panel also includes Wayne Griffiths, Head Coach of the Hong Kong Sports Institute for over a decade, and European Billiards and Snooker Association Head Coach PJ Nolan. Both Wayne and PJ are highly experienced and respected WPBSA Snooker Coaches with experience of coaching internationally.
The membership of the Panel will continue to evolve with the appointment of further qualified coaches from around the world, who will endeavour to support the ethics and vision of the group to underpin the growth of the sport.
The strategic vision of the panel includes to:
- Promote a collaborative approach for coaching using the WPBSA’s Coaching Partnership Scheme and highlighting the WPBSA Coaching Programme.
- Promote the opportunity for every official national federation in the world to have the opportunity to join the WPBSA’s online accredited coaching course scheme which includes the Safeguarding and Protecting Children course certified by UK Coaching and the NSPCC –
- Where necessary, to discuss and investigate all technical aspects of the sport with view to updating technical aspects in line with their proven success and the sports requirements.
- Support the development of a unified accredited Continuous Development Programme (CPD) for snooker coaches worldwide linked to the WPBSA’s Coach Locator.
- To act as a sounding board for the WPBSA on all coaching related issues and plans
Chris Lovell said: “As snooker continues to grow around the world – even in the current worldwide challenging circumstances – coaching remains fundamental to any progressive and successful sport.
“This new Panel will help us to bring together some of the world’s leading figures in snooker coaching and the visionary expertise they possess will enable snooker coaching to be at the forefront of the growth of our sport.”
Learn more about the WPBSA Coaching Programme.