Snooker enthusiasts from Australia, Hong Kong and the UK achieved their community WPBSA World Snooker Coach certification recently at Gloucester’s South West Snooker Academy.
The one-day course is aimed at introducing people to snooker coaching to support the continued growth of the sport throughout the world.
The course was led by Chris Lovel and Andrew Highfield, enabling delegates the opportunity to achieve:
- Certification in safeguarding awarded by Sports Coach UK
- Complete their enhanced DBS Check
- Understand snooker in today’s world and its increasing appeal around the world
- Understand the role of the English Partnership for Snooker and Billiards (EPSB) in supporting the development of snooker within England
- The growth and role of World Disability Billiards and Snooker (WDBS) as it aspires to attain Paralympic status and the support snooker coaches can offer by coaching snooker to people with disabilities
- The activities of World Ladies Billiards and Snooker (WLBS) and World Billiards Ltd (WBL)
- How to set up your own Cue Zone to increase participation through snooker within clubs
- Cue Zone Into Schools
- The history of the game
- An introduction how to coach the basics of the game, including trouble shooting basic faults and an introduction to snooker drills and routines
- How to use the WPBSA’s White to Black snooker coaching training programme
What the delegates said:
“A great course which provides lots of valuable insights to the area of coaching.” – Garri Kozhanovskiy
“It was really informative, helpful and met my expectations perfectly.” – Neil Hardy
“The course was far more informative that I expected, I especially liked the training and practice routines which we did with Andrew.” – Paul Baxter
“The course was more useful than I thought it was going to be, I really enjoyed the day and learned a lot. Chris and Andrew did a great job.” – Lee Mein
“Excellent grounding in coaching with extensive coverage of child protection and safeguarding issues. The clear distinction between coaching and playing was made clear with some routines for novices and a higher standard players demonstrated giving me lots of food for thought.” – Pete Ewart
“Useful tips on how to improve the game with Chris and Andrew being very passionate and helpful.” – Clarence Young
“Absolutely loved it, learned more than I thought whilst also enjoying myself and I would recommend it to others.” – Tony Morgan
If you want to join the team, check out our coaching section for information on how you can get involved.